Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

what gun laws are violated by a businessman who leaves a loaded

Customer Question

what gun laws are violated by a businessman who leaves a loaded shotgun out in the open unlocked, unaccompanied and in reach of a patron. This business open, wideopen to the general public........ No need to bother with telling me how hair pullingly damned stupid this guy is......but go ahead...
Expert:  Loren replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am LawGuy and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

Assuming the possession is legal and it is on his own property (or property he has lawful permission to be on), it is not really a criminal matter. It is negligent, even grossly negligent, but not criminal.

But it is, as you said, hair pullingly idiotic.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If something were to happen, injury or death from the gun, what civil charges may be brought? The business is private property. Trying to convince this idiot that the perceived threat is not worth it.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 years ago.
The business would be civilly liable for the injury or death caused by the employee having a loaded shotgun on the premises.