Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

Good evening my question is we are not sure our mother left

Good evening my question is we are not sure our mother left a will, however should we hire a lawyer to look for one or should we go to probate court
Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Hiring a lawyer won't be helpful to look for a will because it will not have been filed anywhere. The thing to do is go through her records and determine if she paid any lawyers who might have written a will. Another source would be her accountant to determine if the accountant might know or have a record of her paying a lawyer. Otherwise, if the will can't be found, file a petition in the probate court to have her deemed to have died intestate and ask the court to appoint one of you the administrator of her estate. If no will, the intestate succession rules will apply and who gets her estate depends upon who survived her. If there is no surviving spouse and only children, it will be divided equally among her children.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems
more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information
and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you., i am satisfied , that was $38 well spent.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome...it was my pleasure to be able to help you! Take care.