TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

I was arrested for misdemeanor shoplifting. I have been calling

I was arrested for misdemeanor shoplifting. I have been calling the bail bonds office each week waiting for a court date. I called them on Thursday and was told that the charge has been changed to a felony and that I will be arrested again within the next 2 weeks. What happened that changed the charge? I am 51 years old and have never been in any trouble. Can someone please advise me about what I need to do?

Thank you for your question. In Texas, shoplifting can be a felony theft charge if the value of the good stolen is worth more than $1,500.00. In your case, the district attorney likely came to the conclusion that the goods were worth more than $1,500 and decided to elevate the charge against you.

Your best defense at this point would be to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP. The defense attorney might be able to negotiate your continued release on the lesser charge and might be able to get the charge thrown out in general as deficient.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this matter.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The charge for the fabric was a total of $52.00. That amount included a box of safety pins that I did not put in the basket. I paid for all my other items. The actual total was only $46.00

If that is the case, and you were not armed at the time, or there aren't any other aggravating circumstances, then either the bail bond company has the wrong information, or the prosecution is doing something it shouldn't. Either way, you need to find out. The easiest way is to hire a criminal defense attorney to find out what is going on. Since all you have been officialy charged with is petty theft, this shouldn't cost too much. The criminal defense attorney can help you get to the bottom of the exact nature of the charges against you.
However, if you want to forego the cost of hiring an attorney, you can contact the prosecuting attorney yourself and ask them whether there is any truth to what your bail bondsman told you. You have a right to see the prosecution's file, so they should not refuse to tell you the status of the charges against you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

-ZDN