dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues

My daughter just got expelled from school. They are saying

My daughter just got expelled from school. They are saying that she intentionally stole something from a class mate. The class mate agrees that it was an accident. All the students have the same kit and my daughter took the other girls kit by mistake. I have called the school at least 20 times and nobody would call me back. Today I got a call from the schools attorney saying that after looking at the video they have determined that it was intentional.
My question is... Is there anything that we can do? They will not let me see the video and the girl is not accusing my daughter of stealing, yet they expelled her.
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.
You an your daugher most certainly have legal rights but you must exercise them as they are not offered to you without your request. Specifically, you must go to the school board and file for a request for a hearing before the school board. Note, you must file and cannnot simply call. And on the request, you will be given the opportunity to state your objection. I also suggest that you have an attorney represent you at the hearing. And a good referral source is where you can find an attorney where you reside and who specializes in educational law. I wish you both well.

Pleaes rate my answser ok or better. Otherwise, the site keeps your deposit and I am not paid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a private school "Paul Mitchell". I am not sure that they have a school board. They do say that they have a video. I have left many messages asking if I can see the video but they will not return my calls.

Is there anything else I can do if there is no school board?

Can I legally force them to show me the video?

If it is a private school, education laws do not apply> Instead, your child's rights are covered by the Federal Civil Rights rules. And by filing a cmplaoint in court, you can force the release of the video. However, without a court order, the school is under no obligation to comply with your demand.