How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What law governs overseas contracting and whether or not I

Resolved Question:

What law governs overseas contracting and whether or not I am exempt for a 90 day contract netting less than 70,000? As far as whether it is taxable or not.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes i am definitely okay with waiting. The reason I am asking this question is because i am currently on a 90 day overseas contract and i've heard many different things about legal federal and state taxation. the main two concerning any tax period are 1: over 330 days out of country and the first 85k or 95k isnt taxable but everything after that is. 2: on a 90 day contract out of country netting less then 70k it is 100% tax free. If that is the case, then I would appreciate any direction in locating that in writing so i can present it to my company who is taking almost 50% of my pay check for "taxes" Thank you for you time.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Income that is earned overseas is not taxed in the same manner that income earned in the United State s is taxed, as you have surmised by your question.Under Section 911 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (the "Code"), the first $80,000 of income earned by an employee from foreign sources is excludable from U.S. taxable income (the "foreign earned income exclusion" or "FEIE"), subject to certain conditions concerning residence or physical presence outside the U.S.

To qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, a U.S. citizen working abroad must have a "tax home" in a foreign country. If your tax home - where you have your regular or principal place of business or employment - is in a foreign country, and you meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test, then you qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion. What this means is that you may exclude up to $80,000 for the year (computed on a daily basis). The exclusion is indexed for inflation and is $85,700 in 2007 and $87,600 in 2008.

To qualify under the bona fide residence test, you must be a bona fide resident of a foreign country or countries for an uninterrupted period that includes a full tax year. Since you're a calendar year taxpayer, this would include a January to December period. During a period of bona fide residence, you may leave the foreign country for brief or temporary trips elsewhere for vacations or business.

Even if you do not qualify under the bona fide residence test, you may still be eligible for the exclusion if you qualify under the physical presence test. Under this test, you would qualify if 330 full days out of any 12-consecutive month period are spent in a foreign country or countries. Physical presence that starts in the previous tax year but ends in the present year can be counted in determining whether you meet the 330 day physical presence test during a consecutive 12-month period for purposes of the exclusion for the present tax year.

If you meet the bona fide residence or the physical presence test, you may also exclude an amount based upon employer-provided foreign housing costs, although this usually reduces your foreign earned income exclusion.

You must make a separate election for each of these exclusions - they are not automatic.

Neither the foreign earned income exclusion nor the foreign housing exclusion, however, will serve to reduce the rate of tax on which you must compute your tax on income that is taxable. A "stacking rule" ensures that U.S. citizens living abroad are subject to the same U.S. tax rates as individuals living and working in the United States. Income that has been excluded from gross income as either foreign earned income or as a foreign housing allowance is included for purposes of determining the regular tax rate or, if applicable, alternative minimum tax.

For example, an individual with $80,000 of foreign earned income that is excluded, who also has $20,000 in other taxable, nonexcluded income (after deductions), would be subject to tax on that $20,000 at the rate or rates applicable to taxable income in the range of $80,000 to $100,000 (which is 25% for married individuals and 28% for singles, rather than the 10 and 15% rates at the bottom of the tax rate schedules).

In your case, as the contract is only for 90 days, you do not meet the foreign income tax exclusion. Please let me know if you have further questions regarding this matter.

Best Regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.