TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Years ago, an article I wrote was published in a magazine that

Years ago, an article I wrote was published in a magazine that has long since gone out of business. Can I re-submit this article to a different publication without worrying about copyright infringement?
If you assigned the copyright rights to the magazine when you published your article, then it would be a corporate copyright, which lasts 95 years after the date of publication. Thus, even though the magazine is out of business, the copyright may still be acted upon by the successors in interest to the business (be that the shareholders who received distribution, or whathaveyou).

The new magazine to which you wish to submit should be informed of the prior publication anyway. They may be able to assist you with obtaining permission to republish your work.

Please let me know if you have other questions on this issue.

Best Regards,