dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
29685164

I live in long island, ny. There was a judgement against me

I live in long island, ny. There was a judgement against me for $2800 for non payment of rent. I have moved out of the residence, and I am collecting state disability of $209.00 per week and I do not work. I cannot afford to pay this judgement at all and I have no assets. what can the sherrif do if I cannot pay?
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

the sheriff cannot take any action against you as you are what we called judgment proof. That is, your state disablity benefits cannot be taken as they are exempt and you have no other assets. Likewise, if you should start working, your wages could be attached.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. The sheriff dept. does not know of my situation. How can I stop them from looking for me or causing trouble for me.

The sheriff must do his job to investigate. Likewise, if you are contacted, and once they know that your only source of income is disablity, they will leave you alone. But please do cooperate. I wishh you well.