Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

If one enters into a written legal agreement, but on the last

If one enters into a written legal agreement, but on the last page where the document is notarized, the date is wrong. ( On the first page the date says March 2, 2012, but the notary page is dated February 3, 2012, clearly 30 days prior to the inital agreement) . Would that make this document not legal or able to be thrown out of court?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

There may be a slight delay in response time, as I may be helping with other questions or I may be away from the computer. I will answer any follow-up questions as soon I can.

As a general rule, a mistake in the date made by the person signing a document would not be considered enough to invalidate the entire agreement. If there were allegations of some sort of fraud or back-dating in the agreement, to make it appear that it was entered earlier than it was, that could be the basis for trying to get the agreement to be nullified. But, the date on the notary's signature would likely control unless both parties agreed that it was the notary that made a mistake (and, in that case, the notary's mistake as to the date does not affect the validity of the agreement). If there's a question as to the time for performance, and the contract is ambiguous because of the different dates, the parties could bring in evidence regarding what the correct date was.

Please rate my service before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - if not, please click "reply" so that we may continue the conversation. Good luck.