Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We live in Arizonia and are buying a home in California for

Customer Question

We live in Arizonia and are buying a home in California for our daughter and family. We have encountered the CAL-FIRPTA (CA law AB 1338, Chapter 02-488 of Revised Revenue and Taxation Code 18662). This law indicates a 3 and 1/3% of the sales price that may be withheld. What are the implications of this law to us as an out of state buyer? Does it make a difference if we buy the home as a second home or and investment (rental) property?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

The tax applies to both resident and non-residents selling investment properties. The tax does not apply to the sale of a primary residence. The following are the exemptions to the tax withholding:

The seller signs an affidavit under penalty of perjury stating that the property is the seller's principal residence within the meaning of IRC §121. (C.A.R. Standard Form AS January 2003 version* or California tax form 593-C satisfies this affidavit requirement. See Question 35 for how to obtain California tax forms.); or

The seller signs an affidavit under penalty of perjury stating that the property is part of an IRC §1031 exchange (but only to the extent of the amount of gain not required to be recognized for California income tax purposes under IRC §1031) (C.A.R. Standard Form AS, January 2003 version* or California tax form 593-C); or

The seller signs an affidavit under penalty of perjury stating that the property has been involuntarily or compulsorily converted and the seller intends to acquire property similar or related in service or use in order to be eligible for nonrecognition of gain for California income tax purposes under IRC §1033 (C.A.R. Standard Form AS, January 2003 version* or California tax form 593-C); or

The seller signs an affidavit under penalty of perjury stating that the transaction will result in a loss for California income tax purposes (C.A.R. Standard Form AS, January 2003 version* or California tax form 593-C); or

The sales price of the property does not exceed $100,000; or

The buyer does not receive written notification of the withholding requirement from the "real estate escrow person." (See Questions 19 and 20); or

The property is acquired by a corporate beneficiary under a deed of trust or mortgage through judicial or nonjudicial foreclosure or by a deed in lieu of foreclosure. See: CA Tax Code 18662(e).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”