Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

In New York State are public school teachers allowed to test

In New York State are public school teachers allowed to test on the Jewish High Holidays
Hello and welcome,

This would not typically be prohibited by law, but if the teacher is Jewish and wishes to observe their religious beliefs, they should typically request a reasonable accommodation from the employer, such as testing on a different day.

Federal law prohibits employers from discriminating against employees based on their religion and must normally provide reasonable accommodations to permit them to observe their religious beliefs.

Here is a link that summarizes the law on this issue:

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/religion.cfm

If the employer refuses to provide a reasonable accommodation, then a grievance should be filed or a complaint filed with the EEOC if it is not promptly resolved internally.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure if I made myself clear. My child is Jewish. She was absent on Yom Kippur. On that day her chemistry teacher gave an exam. I was wondering if this was allowed in New York State. Thank you

I see. Thank you for the additional information, Lani.

Yes, this would typically be legal. I would request that the teacher provide your child with an opportunity to make up the test, consistent with their policy for any other student absences.