JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

Signature forging with approval

Can I have my son sign for my other son as long as my son gives him approval? There must be a way to do this.  My other son is at college and there are some important papers to sign.  So I scanned the papers and sent them to him.  He signed them and sent them back through email but they were all the wrong size and not visible.  So I gave up and had my other son sign them for him with his permission.  What kind of crime have I committed? 

Welcome and thank you for your question!

What you've described requires that your absent son have a written power of attorney document that allows your other son to sign on his behalf.

Technically, the signatures you have obtained are not legally valid.

However, no crime, per se, has been committed if the signatures were done with the approval of the absent son.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Replyf tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.