LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.

I bought some baby bird handfeeding formula that contained

I bought some baby bird handfeeding formula that contained too much Vitamin D and it killed 9 baby birds (cockatiels and lovebirds) I asked for reimbursement for the losses plus 1 years production of the lost babies which I thought was fair. They have come back with a ridiculous sum not even 1/10 of the demand. I did not ask for 10 years production as I did want to be fair. The product was recalled by the FDA and the company said they would reimburse losses on a case by case basis. I need to know what to do next. Thanks FRANK
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am very sorry to hear about loss of your birds.

Basically you have two options.

1) You can continue to try and negotiate what you think is a fair amount with the company. Many times companies will offer you a much lower amount than they are willing to pay to see if they can get yoiu settle for a low amount. If you stick to your position they may increase their offer.

2) You can initiate litigation against them for the loss caused by their defective product. Based upon what you have described it seems that liability is not an issue, just the value of your loss. Prior to filing suit you may want to ask them if the would be willing to enter into binding arbitration to resolve your claim. Rather than going to court you would meet with an arbitrator an present your side and they would do the same. The arbitrator would determine an amount and if you agreed that it would be binding that is what you would be entitle to collect. Arbitration is usually a much less expensive option than going to trial.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”

LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience: Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.