I am considering setting up a Dynasty Trust to take advantage of the $5 million lifetime gift and estate tax exemption which will end this year. The intention of the trust is for the benefit of future generations as long as there are descendants. The trust should have protection from creditors and divorce protection. It can also act as family bank. As for now, most of the assets are in real estate in WA and overseas. We also want a trust that can be funded by me or anyone else in the future as well.
So I need a very experienced attorney who has at least 10 years of experience in setting up this type of trust. An attorney who is also familiar with the current tax law, state and federal.
1. Can you recommend several attorneys in the Seattle area who can help me with creating this type of trust.
2. Are you one of them? If you do, what is your fee and what type of scope of work will you provide?
3. Do you think Dynasty trust is a good idea?
4. Which state is the best for setting up the dynasty trust?
5. What are the advantages and disadvantages in setting up the trust in different state when the beneficiaries and trustees are non resident of that state?
6. Can this trust and the transfer of assets be done prior by the end of this year?
7. Do you handle the paperwork required for transferring title of properties to the trust? What is the cost?
8. Are you familiar with all the tax paperwork (tax returns) that needs to be completed or any taxes that are subjected to the trust? What are those tax returns?
9. What do you think of using Family Office (trust) where its directors are family members or the beneficiaries as trustees of the Dynasty trust?
10. Since most of the assets that are going to be transferred to the trust is in real estate, is that mean that the husband and wife grantors must use both of their estate exclusions?
11. Does the title of the properties matter in this regard?
12. Can the husband grantor use only his full exclusion of $ 5 mill and have the wife exercise her estate exclusion later in the future?
I hope you can answer all the above questions.
Thanks for the responds but it did not answer much of anything on the questions that I asked. At least you could answer them generally on some of the questions. You did not give any recommendation or provide specific attorneys who are experienced with the Dynasty Trust. Instead, it is just a list of the attorneys that I can find in the phone book on estate planning.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).