TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I paid my light bill with a check and it was return because

I paid my light bill with a check and it was return because i had another payment come out that i forgot drafts out. So now the l light company is charging me the check plus 25.00 check fee. and a deposit of 440.00 dollars. and the lights are not cut off. I made the payment of the check and 25.00 i can see that but to chrage me a deposit fee of that is that legal because thier going to cut my lights off for that and icant afford it aswell as ihe a 5 and 6 yr old kids in the house. can they do this and get away with it. please help
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Unfortunately, they can demand a deposit. However, you can appeal the current decision. Therefore, you should contact the electric company and ask that your case be appealed. If you lose the appeal, then the electric company must work with you on a payment plan if you cannot afford to pay the entire deposit at once. You may be required to provide financial information if asked.

In any event, so long as you pay your bill and contact the electric company to appeal and work out payment arrangements if necessary, then your service should not be terminated just because you can't come up with $440 in cash.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!