TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I reside in the state of Maryland (Baltimore City). I want

Customer Question

I reside in the state of Maryland (Baltimore City). I want turn one of the rooms in my home into a beauty shop for my hair braiding business. I have been looking at all of the requirements online and I am confused. I found out that I don't need a cosmetology license to do only hair braiding. But since my home is in a residential area, I won't be able to get a permit?? If I am not required to be licensed in cosmetology, then I would think that I don't have to meet the requirements license cosmetologists have to meet. I'm not sure I am being specific enough. Like I said, the laws have me confused.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

The licensing requirements are completely separate from the zoning requirements. The licensing pertains to you personally, and whether you may braid hair professionally. The zoning pertains to your property, and whether you can operate a business in the residential neighborhood. Accordingly, although you may not need a cosmetology license to braid hair professionally, you do need a permit to operate a business out of your house.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!