John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

I asked my uncle (who at the time was also my boss)to co sign

Customer Question

I asked my uncle (who at the time was also my boss)to co sign for a truck. For the deal to happen with payments i was ok with he needed to be buyer and me co sign he agreed,(with in a few days he was on me to change it witch i could not.)About 5 months later he fires me.i went 6 months with out a job and in that 6 months i missed a payment. He decides to make two payments and shows up at my house with a tow truck and towes my truck.
Now im $8000 in to truck between trade in and payments. with $13000 to go. Can i sue him for my trade in value,the whole amount,or for the truck? what should i do?
Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Who's name(s) are on the title?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

His and mine

So, you can sue him for compensation for the personal property that he has taken possession. This suit can be filed in small claims (conciliation) court in Minnesota so long as you are asking for less then $10,000.

Here are the conciliation court forms that you would need to file the case: http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=515

This is a court that is consumer friendly and can be done on your own without a lawyer.

I cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you already know. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Unfortunately, sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. I hope you appreciate that I have given you an accurate understanding of the law. I will not just tell you what you want to hear.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Please show your appreciation for my candor by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
OR

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
and positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear John..."

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is this a case where most likley i will recive a settelmentor get denied by a judge? (In your opinon)

There is no way to tell about a settlement offer. Settlement all depends on whether your uncle is willing to give a little here. It sounds like he is being unreasonable. Most folks that are unreasonable do not settle.

The decision of the judge would also be a toss up. You have a valid point that your uncle should not get the benefit of your equity in the truck. However, if he were not making payments it would be repossessed by the bank and the bank would sell at a very low auction price.

Is there anything I can do to earn a good rating for this conversation from you. I do not get paid by the site unless you give me a good rating.