dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues

I am getting married, but my future husband has lots of debts,

I am getting married, but my future husband has lots of debts, including child support and owes to the IRS...he is unemployed at this time. We are planning on filing jointly to be able to get a larger return and pay off his debt, but I am a home owner and have other assets, wich have been obtained prior to this marriage...are those at risk? Can they legally seize my property or my payroll money? Any advise? Th
ank you!
Hello and thank you for your question. For over 34 years I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

If your assets were acquired before marriage and remain in your name alone such as the title to the house, they are not at risk. Likewise, I recommend that you retain separate bank accounts. And if you do need a joint account to pay for groceries, etc, maintain a small balance. Regardless,your wages cannot be garnished to satisfy your husband's debts. I also recommend that you purchase a great book on this subject. it is called BEFORE YOU SAY I DO, AGAIN. A BUYER'S BEWARE GUIDE TO REMARRIAGE. It is available through Amazon and discusses the legal, fiancial, and emotional issues of remarriage. I wish you both well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer; I was also concerned about any potential "interception" of the income tax refund, once we file jointly...because he has no income he will appear on my income tax but it will actually be only my this a venue for the creditors, including child support agencies or the IRS itself, to collect via income tax? Thank you!

Only the IRS can offset your refund if you or you and your husband owe money for unpaid taxes.