Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

In city of Industry or Rowland Heights, CA, whats the regulations,

Customer Question

In city of Industry or Rowland Heights, CA, whats the regulations, law, or standards for pet boarding services? Just like any restaurant, in order to get an A, B, or C rated sign to put in the front entrance door, the restaurant need to pass certain inspections from health Dept. fire Dept...etc, so does a boarding service is the same concept need to go thru all that? My main question is whats the regulations, all I can think of is hygienic issue, insurances, varies of pet's foods for different pets' needs, vet supports. I do need an expert who can answer my question ASAP, thanks.
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X would be glad to do some research and see what I can find, but need a bit more information, if you do not mind. I now that in certain Counties in California, you need a certain amount of square footage per animal, and I think that you cannot board a broad variety of animals, but I will check on that also,

1. In which County will this be ?

2. What type of animals would you board ? Dogs ? Cats ? Other ?

3. How many square feet is the structure that you will be using ?

I may have more questions as I go along. Sometimes, there might be a slight delay between your reply and my response. I assist several customers simultaneously, so I might be assisting other customers, I might be researching a question, or I might be taking a break from the computer monitor for a short while. Please be assured that I have not forgotten you and I will prepare and send you your Answer as soon as I possibly can,

Thank you,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regarding to your questions, this is at LA County, California. Majority of the pets are dogs, just few cats will keep indoor. This facilityis approximately around 18000-20000 sq/ft, including driveway and couple designate parking spaces. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Thanks. I need to know the codes and regulations, or detail breakdown of what a city or health dept require the boarding, in general standard. Thanks

Hi, Mick,

1.Is the property zoned "commercial" ?

2. I can see what I can find as to the requirements of Los Angeles County. If you are asking us to furnish specific code sections, you would be asking for legal research and that is both time consuming and expensive. Please tell me exactly what it is that you want

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Commercial/light industrial I believe. At this stage I will need to know the basic requirement first, thanks for replying so soon, I'll be happy to hear from your answer. I really do appreciated.

Hi, Mick,

My apologies for any delays, but it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

You must apply for a Boarding Kennel License by submitting completed application on the form provided by the Department of Animal Care and Control. Section 10.28.050 requires that the Application be accompanied by the Approval from the director of the regional planning department that the maintenance of the kennel in the location you specify will not violate any local zoning ordinances. I am reprinting the relevant parts of the Los Angeles Municipal Code for your reference.

10.28.020 Initial license--Application required.

Every person desiring a license to operate an animal facility or to keep a wild
animal under Section 10.28.060, shall file an application with the department
upon a form to be provided by the department, and at such time pay the required
fee and any applicable penalty as set forth in Section 10.90.010.II. A person
who possessed or owned a wild animal or who operated an animal facility without
the required license, shall pay the penalty set forth in Section 10.90.010.II.C.4, in addition to the license fee.

When a person applies for licenses for different purposes for animals at the same premises at the same time, the cost of the licenses shall be reduced by the amount set forth in Section 10.90.010.II.A.1.k. (Ord. 2009-0017 § 13, 2009: Ord. 2004-0036 § 8, 2004: Ord. 9454 § 1 (part), 1967: Ord. 4729 Art. 6 § 602, 1946.)

10.28.030 License--Form and information required.

Each application for any license covered by this chapter shall be upon a form to be
furnished by the department, and shall contain such information as the director
may require. (Ord. 9454 § 1 (part), 1967: Ord. 4729 Art. 6 § 622, 1946.)

10.28.040 License fee not refundable.

No part of the license fee is refundable in any case. (Ord. 2004-0036 § 9, 2004:
Ord. 93-0002 § 6, 1993: Ord. 85-0204 § 14, 1985: Ord. 9454 § 1 (part), 1967:
Ord. 4729 Art. 6 § 621, 1946.)

10.28.050 License requirements--Inspection prerequisite to issuance and renewal.

Upon the filing of any license or renewal application covered by this chapter, the
or renew the license if the following requirements are met:

A. The maintenance of the animal or animals at the location set forth in the
application will not violate any law or ordinance of the county of Los Angeles,
federal law or any law of the state of California, or constitute a menace to
the health, peace or safety of the community;

B. The applicant has received approval from the director of the regional planning
department that the maintenance of the animal or animals as defined in this
chapter, at the location specified in the application for the license therefore, will not violate any provision of any zoning ordinance or other specific plan of land use;

C. The applicant has not had a license, covered by this chapter, denied or revoked
within the county of Los Angeles within twelve months prior to the application.
However, the director may issue a license within the twelve month waiting
period if the applicant is able to make the showing required by Section
10.28.150. (Ord. 2011-0011 § 4, 2011: Ord. 2004-0036 § 10, 2004: Ord. 9454 § 1
(part), 1967: Ord. 4729 Art. 6 § 623, 1946.)

I am providing you below with a very useful link which you can use for reference:

Minimum standards which must be maintained by a facility housing animals, including boarding kennels are contained in Los Angeles Municipal Code 10.40.010 and can be found at the following link:

http://search.municode.com/html/16274/_DATA/TITLE10/Chapter_10_40_GENERAL_REQUIREM.html#1

10.40.040 Dog kennels--Records required for each animal.

A. The holder of an animal facility license shall maintain the following current
records, which shall be available for inspection on the premises:

1. The name, current address and telephone number of the owner of each animal kept at the animal facility;

2. The date the animal entered and left the animal facility, including the records
of animals that die while at the facility;

3. The reason for the animal being at the animal facility, such as for boarding,
sale, breeding or grooming;

4. The description of the animal, including its age, breed, sex, color and other
available identifying information, such as an animal license number, tattoo or
microchip registration number.

B. A current, valid rabies certificate shall be maintained for every dog over four
months of age while the dog is kept at the animal facility.

C. Any animal facility selling dogs and cats to the public shall post a
conspicuous notice containing the following information on each dog or cat's
cage: the breeder's name, address and license number. If the breeder's name is
not known, then the name and address of the person from whom the dog or cat was
obtained shall be displayed. (Ord. 2011-0011 § 11, 2011: Ord. 9454 § 1 (part),
1967: Ord. 4729 Art. 9 § 905, 1946.)

10.40.050 Dog kennels--Surfacing and sanitation of dog runs.

Dog kennel runs shall be of concrete, provided with adequate draining for proper
sanitation, or, if sand or pea gravel is used, droppings must be picked up and
disposed of and the runs treated periodically with an effective disinfectant.
(Ord. 9454 § 1 (part), 1967: Ord. 4729 Art. 9 § 906, 1946.)

10.32.070 Cat kennel requirements.

Every person owning or operating any animal facility used to keep cats, shall keep
all cats therein under proper confinement on the premises and shall not cause,
permit or allow such cats to be or to run at large. (Ord. 2011-0011 § 7, 2011:
Ord. 9454 § 1 (part), 1967: Ord. 8964 § 2, 1965: Ord. 8613 § 1 (part), 1964:
Ord. 8043 § 12 (part), 1961: Ord. 7351 § 3 (part), 1958: Ord. 6937 § 8, 1956:
Ord. 4729 Art. 7 § 705, 1946.)

I hope I have provided you with "Excellent Service", if you need anything further, please use the "Reply" button to let me know

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

Hi, Mick,

Thank you for the Excellent Sevice rating, If I can be of further service, please let me know. If you have questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me, like this,

"For Andrea.........."

And your question will be directed to me,

ANDREA