How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert Your Own Question
Robert, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1412
Experience:  I am a licensed Attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Robert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married to a woman for 3 yrs but never had a marital

Customer Question

I have been married to a woman for 3 yrs but never had a marital home together because she refuses to leave her parents in Washington. I want a divorce but she won't sign the papers because I told her that she will have to get her car refinanced to take my name off of it. How can I get this done quickly without her being able to drag it out? I live in Colorado.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer!

If she will not sign an agreement regarding children (if any), division of marital property, child support (if any), and alimony (if any) then your only option is to file a petition requesting a dissolution of your marriage. You can likely do this in Colorado as long as you meet the residency requirements.

To file for a dissolution of marriage in Colorado, one party must be a resident of the state for at least 90 days before filing. The petition for dissolution of marriage may be filed in the county where either party resides. Colorado Revised Statutes 14-10-106.

If you file in Colorado and your spouse does not show up for the final hearing then you may be awarded a default judgment (as is customary when one party does not show up).

She may be able to cause the proceedings to be drawn out compared to signing an agreement and filing for an uncontested divorce but if you retain an attorney then you can likely expedite the process.

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best. Please let me know if you need me to further clarify my answer and I will do my best to so clarify.

Thank you,


While of course not required, a bonus is greatly appreciated if I have been particularly helpful. To request my assistance again in the future, please go to the following link and enter your question on my profile page: