Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Dose the State of Maine have a statewide merchandise return

Dose the State of Maine have a statewide merchandise return policy for businss owners?
.
No, this is a matter of the particular store policy as to whether they will accept returns or not if there is not a defect with the product. Most stores do as a matter of customer service and goodwill, but there is no legal obligation for them to do so. The exception is if the product is somehow defective, then the merchant has an obligation to either refund the purchaser's money or replace the product under a breach of contract theory.
.
According to the Maine Attorney General: "A store is required to give cash refunds only when you immediately find a serious defect and bring the item right back. If your item is not defective, then whether or not you can return it depends on the store's return policy. If their policy is "no returns unless defective", then you must keep the item unless it was somehow significantly misrepresented to you. However, if a store has adopted a cash refund policy for returned goods, then it must honor its policy."
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.