Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

RA-ScE

Customer Question

Verizon made changes on our account without talking to any account owner. The billing password XXXXX never asked for.
In a separate incident, they sent us a phone that had very provacative pictures on it. They failed to check the SD card and phone before it was sent out.
We believe these both to be privacy issues. It went up to the executive hotline but they are no longer returning our phone calls.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your post.

If I may ask, did the company reverse the changes that they made to your account once you notified them that you did not agree to the changes?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The change resulted in a replacement phone being sent out. There was no monetary loss on our side, we just had to send the old phone back.

For the second issue (pics on phone), they refunded the cost of the phone.

Rudy,

In that situation I am not seeing a cause of action here. If the company made an error but they resolved the error in your favor (and I assume without additional expenses), there is no cause of action here. If there is no loss on your side, there are no real and direct grounds for potential injury that I see.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They released account information. We have a billing password XXXXX a reason. And, I'm pretty sure the lady's half naked pictures on the phone is some type of privacy violation.

Are they not obligated to protect privacy?

Rudy,

If anyone's privacy is being violated, it is not yours but the other person's. Since you are not that person, you have no grounds to file suit against them for some sort of a violation. Under law you would have no 'standing' to sue as you personally were not injured. They are obligated to protect your privacy, and if there is an issue, resolve it--your issue with the company was resolved as you did not suffer any additional charges, expenses, or modifications. If you have additional injury that you can trace to the company, you may have a cause of action then, but so far your injuries, if any, are very minimal, making this a cause of action claim that would be unlikely to be successful.

Good luck.

Rudy,

I see that you rated my answer as 'poor', likely because I provided you with an honest assessment of your chances. What specifically have I failed to address to you that you believe deserves a poor evaluation? Or did you prefer to get an answer that sounded good but was not really valuable? Please advise.