Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Effect of a historic landmark designation on a mortgage?

This is a new question for you Paul. What effect does the presence of a historic landmark designation of a housing cooperative corporation property have on obtaining a mortgage for that property? Examples would be appreciated.......

General lenders are not going to mortgage a historic property because they are more concerned with current values and not interested in the restrictions having a historic property places on the property. Loans on a historic properly typically come from the FHA or through the local historic preservation society which has agreements with private lenders and even has access to grant money both private and government grant money to make repairs or renovations to the historic property.

The other reason lenders do not want to be involved with historic property is because in the event of foreclosure they cannot get rid of any of the restrictions on the deed and cannot get rid of the easement, so it makes it very tough for them to sell if they have to do so.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Paul

Perhaps if the housing cooperative corporation property is a very large one and 100% of the shareholders have to approve of it being sold, what you have said about a lender being unwilling to mortgage that property, would not apply? A response would be appreciated.

My point was that in the event of a default on the property, the lender is limited in their ability of disposing of the property. The lender cannot just foreclose and then sell it at auction because of the restrictions on the property as a historic property.