LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
58185682

if i am physically handicapped can go to jail? im in this

Customer Question

if i am physically handicapped can go to jail? i'm in this situation where westren union is saying i owe them 1460 and if i dont pay the rest of the balance they can put a warrant out for my arrest , can they do that? and if i have court because of them what should i do i cant go its hard for me to get around im physically handicapped
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 2 years ago.
Yes, physically handicapped people can go to jail.

Was it Western Union or a Debt Collector that threatened to have you arrested?

The Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) which covers collection of consumer debts, prohibits collectors from threatening debtors with arrest. You should contact an attorney experienced in FDCPA law and seek his advice and reputation.

________________________
If you have found the information that I have provided to be helpful, please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the way I receive credit for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information please ask.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 or by beginning your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

westren union threaten the arrest

Are they the creditor or are they collecting the debt on behalf of someone else?

The conduct you have described should be actionable under the FDCPA. Western Union, by engaging in the type of collection activity should meet the definition of debt collector. I strongly suggest that you contact an attorney experienced in FDCPA law and seek his advice and representation.

He will be in the best position to advise you as to how to proceed. The FDCPA allows for the recovery of attorney's fees so many lawyers will not require you to pay a fee up front.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is only the way I receive credit for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information please ask.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no westren union said it goes to their company , do you think they are scamming me?

Did you borrow money from western union?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i was trying to send money to someone and it wouldnt go through so i tried submitting it like 15 times and it still didnt go through so i used someone elses name under my card and they said i owed them 900 tried paying it off but i only get paid once a month and everytime a payment is late they add 35 dollars to the charge and now they saying i still owe 1460 worth of fees

The problem you are now presenting is much different than what you originally asked in your initial question regarding the ability to have you arrested. Western Union can only file a criminal charge if you have committed a crime. Your inability or failure to pay a civil obligation is not a crime. Their threatening to have you arrested actionable under the FDCPA. Depending upon the number of times they repeated that threat the penalties they will face could well exceed the amount they are seeking from you.

There seems to be something not right with the reason they are charging you $1460.00 . When you talk to a lawyer about the FDCPA violation you should have him review the basis for the charges also.

If you tell me what county and state you reside, I can provide you contact information for an attorney referral service.

Also PLEASE RATE the answers I have provided you. It is the ONLY way I receive credit for my work.
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience: Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I LIVE IN CAPE MAY COUNTY , NEW JERSEY

Try

Cape May County Bar Association
9 North Main Street
Cape May Courthouse, NJ 08210
609-463-0313
E-Mail: cmcba@comcast.net
Exec. Dir.: Michele Devine-Hartnett

They should be able to provide you with a list of attorneys.

Here is the link for the New Jersey Bar Lawyer referral service

http://www.njsba.com/for-the-public/lawyer-referral-service.html

_______________________________________________________________________________________________