Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

The franchise tax board of california put a $2700.00 lien on

The franchise tax board of california put a $2700.00 lien on our bank acct. for taxed owed from 1995. The original amount owed was $500.00 We moved to Nv in 1997 and didn't know anything about this debt. Seveal yrs laterr we got a bill. My husband called them and wanted to know what this debt was for. They had no records since it was so many yrs later. We felt we didn't owe unless we knew what it was for. Is there a statute of limitations on this My husband receives social security and we own no property. We have no savings and the money being held in the bank is for our rent and bills. What do you suggest

Thank you for your question.

My apologies to you on this situation. However there is no statute of limitations on state debt. If this is something you allegedly owe to the state of California (and not to the IRS, for example), California law does not grant them some sort of a limitation of pursuing you for the alleged debt. Once this bank freeze took place, your only options are either to negotiate some manner of a payment plan for the debt owed, or file a motion in court claiming either hardship (that you are unable to pay the debt as you cannot otherwise make ends meet), or file for an exemption--if the funds in your account are Social Security funds only, those funds cannot be frozen or garnished, as they are exempt from collections.

Good luck.