Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

My mother-n-law is over 65 and has a disabling disease called

My mother-n-law is over 65 and has a disabling disease called Huntingtons Chorea. Hard time swallowing, hard time walking, can't talk ect.....

she makes less than $2k/mth from social security and her state retirement and has very little assets.

shouldn't there be a way she can quickly qualify and get Medicaid?...she lives in Texas so Texas Medicaid.

Is she going into a nursing home?

Has she applied for Medicaid and been rejected for some reason?

Does she have any other assets beyond her income?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well she's in a senior independent living facility currently but her progression is quickly headed toward a nursing home I'm afraid. No she hasn't applied and been rejected for Medicaid.....she makes to much for straight up Medicaid but there are certain waiver programs but I understand it could take as much as 2 years to qualify because of the waiting lists they have.

she doesn't have any other assets to speak of other than her income....she has a car and some furniture.

Dear jerome - There should be no problem qualifying for Medicaid for any amounts over an above what she now has as income. For example, if the nursing home cost is $6000 and month and her income is $3000 then Medicaid would cover the additional $3000. There should be no problem keeping a car but she would have to liquidate all assets over an above a few hundred dollars. Most nursing homes have professionals on staff who are experienced in Medicaid issues. I see no reason why you would have to wait an extended amount of time to qualify but the sooner you get started the better off you will be. You have to submit all financial to Medicaid and my experience is that the nursing home will handle all of the paperwork. so the first thing you need to do is decide on the facility and then talk to the person in charge of Medicaid applications.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks that sounds great my only concern is right now she doesn't necessarily qualify or currently in need of the nursing home but would like to know if she still qualifies for Medicaid for her medical bills Now even before she has to be in a nursing home?

hope that makes sense. ;)

Her medical bills are covered by Medicare, not Medicaid and Medicaid will only cover full nursing care and not assisted living situations. So until she needs full nursing care she will not qualify for Medicaid.