LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 25 years.
58185682

Just found out sisters husband had a child born out of wed

Just found out sisters husband had a child born out of wed lock. He was never told about this child. He was married to my sister and they had a child together. He was killed in the line of duty several years ago. And my sister and her son received survivor benefits they also get his pension and SSI survivor benefits. Is this child born out of wed lock able to get money. He was never acknowledged. The mom said she never told him the child was his. He had a will at the time of his death and left everything to his wife and son. They lived in Ohio.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

In Ohio a decedent is survived by a spouse and more than one child or their descendants, the spouse receives the first $60,000 if the spouse is the natural or adoptive parent of one, but not all of the children, or the first $20,000 if the spouse is not the natural or adoptive parent of any of the children. The spouse receives one-third of the balance of the estate and the children will receive two-thirds of the balance of the estate in equal shares. Descendants of a deceased child divide that child’s equal share.

See http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2105.06

The U.S. Supreme Court held that the statutes that deny inheritance rights to illegitimate children violate the Constitution's equal protection clause. Prior to their ruling many states denied illegitimate children the right to inherit.

The fact that your brother was unaware of the existence of this child is not a factor.

To determine what right that child may or may not have to his pension, you would have to examine the terms of that pension program. If after reviewing the pension programs terms it is not obvious, your sister-in-law should consult an attorney.

The illegitimate child would also be entitled to the same SSI benefits that they would be as if your brother had known of the child while he was alive.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
If you have found the information that I have provided to be helpful, please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the way I receive credit for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information please ask.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Also answers regarding the law may take some time to put together.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 or by beginning your question with “For LegalEagle1”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We did check the Ohio police and fire survivor pension fund and it states that benefits will be paid to eligible children once te child's birth certificate is submitted.
Since your brother never acknowledged paternity the child will have the burden of establishing this. This is usually done through DNA testing.

If you have found the information that I have provided to be helpful, please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information please ask.
I enjoyed answering your question a few days ago. I just wanted to contact you to see if you needed any further assistance.

Also if you have not yet rated my answer, please do so. This the way I receive credit for my work.

Thanks.