Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Can I file a law-suit against a bus-driver senior-citizen abuse

Customer Question

Can I file a law-suit against a bus-driver senior-citizen abuse because he intentionally did
not stop at a bus-stop 4 times in a row and made me walk long distance to the bus? 3 times
these distances were over a 100 ft., one time despite being flagged, he just continued on
before stopping. That was about 60 ft. Since I was afraid he might take off if I walked, I ran at asow jog. When I made the complaint, I said in 28 yrs in riding buses, I never saw anything even cose to this. Incidentally, 2 times complaints were made on this to the bus
company!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
I don't know if it would qualify as "abuse" but it would likely qualify as discrimination or harassment. However, the burden would be on you to prove that it was done because of your age and not just pointed at you for some other reason.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
The feedback you left is a negative rating despite the fact that I answered your question both directly and correctly and provided the answer very quickly after you asked the question. Since the answer was direct and correct I am a little puzzled as to why it was rated negatively unless you don't like the law, which of course I have no control over. Is there something additional I can provide?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I was under the impression all law in this country was sensitive to treatment of Senior-Citizens. From what I've read of the previous "Expert". For example: somebody would come at me with their fists and say their going to beat me up because I'm elderly. As much as I
know about the law even if a person doesn't know
a Senior-citizen is a senior citizen it doesn't
matter. But in any event, The driver was absolutely inappropriate many times. Do I have case?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
You are incorrect in your assumptions and beliefs as to the law.

There are some laws that are automatically sensitive to whether someone is a senior citizen, such as the example you used when someone is assaulted.

However, there is no law that applies in a case like this where a bus driver misses a stop unless you can prove he was skipping you because you were elderly. That would trigger the ant-discrimination statutes.

Let me give you a different example using a bus. If in the first example the bus driver didn't pick you up because he doesn't like the elderly then you would have a lawsuit for discrimination. In a second example, assume that every time you had gotten on the bus you had cussed at the bus driver and threatened them and they had now quit stopping at your bus stop, it would not be illegal. In both examples you were still the same age, but his actions were motivated by different reasons, one illegal and one not.

You can sue for this but as I originally said, you would have to prove that his actions were due to your age. The court isn't going to presume that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I should really not have bothere with this, since I intend to consult with an attorney at his office regardless what is said here!

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what you were expecting, unless you just want someone to agree with what you are saying.

You left a negative rating for me, which reflects badly on me, because, apparently, you disagree with the law or had the wrong expectations of the site. I answered your question promptly, I provided an accurate answer, and even reengaged with you despite the negative rating so that I could try and clear up any misimpressions you might have had.

I have no control over whether the law is in your favor or not, or whether the law is what you believe it is. All I can do is provide true and correct answers in the hope that you will live up to your agreement to provide a rating based on my service and not on whether the law is favorable or whether you were correct.