FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

If a person was voluntarily confined to a psychiatric hospital

If a person was voluntarily confined to a psychiatric hospital and medically discharged over 40 years ago are they permitted to purchase a fire arm in Maryland?
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

My name is FiveStarLaw. I shall strive to provide you with legal information. My answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button. When we are done, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.

The voluntary confinement to the psychiatric hospital would not disqualify a person from obtaining a firearm in Maryland provided the person obtains a physician's certificate stating that the person is capable of possessing a firearm without undue danger to the person or others. A State task force is currently considering whether the criteria regarding firearms by the mentally ill should be changed and is expected to report to the Governor by the end of 2012.

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you; yes this is what I wanted to know. However, The vast majority of the physicians I have known are totally opposed to anyone possessing firearms. Where does one find an unbiased physician?

Unfortunately most physicians will not state that a person is not a danger due to liability issues. This is a problem with the current law. You will need to either continue to search for a physician willing to take the risk or hope that task force recommends change to the law
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.