JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

re: Home Association

Customer Question

I live in a rental house in the state of Washington. No where in my contract does it say that I am governed by a home association. I parked my 18' metal shell, boat trailer beyond the driveway, beside the house. Well off the street and virtually "out of sight". You would have to be looking for it, to see it. The trailer is also properly registered with current state tags. Am I obligated to pay the imposed fine? I rent from a rental agent, not the owner, and I have not contacted him about this problem. With your answer, it may determine if I have to consult with him. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, please keep looking.thank you very much.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

From the facts you've described, you do not have a legal obligation to pay the fine.

You should, however, inform the property owner about this incident because, if you don't pay it, they HOA will go after the owner for payment and may even place a lien on the property.

In other words, the matter will not simply disappear if you choose to not pay it. Things will escalate with the property owner.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.