TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I was recently in a car accident in mississippi and hit a light

I was recently in a car accident in mississippi and hit a light pole. I was unconscious and taken to the hospital and later found out I was given a DUI ticket. I'm a travel nurse in las vegas, nevada and my court date is set for sept 4. I can't be there due to work and I've tried to contact the court to notify them but they have been closed, I believe because of tropical storm isaac since it's in gulfport. I'm unsure what to do at this point.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If I were you, I'd hire an attorney as soon as possible to either attempt to work out a deal with the prosecutor, or to at least file a Motion to Continue. The judge would likely grant the Motion if it is the first continuance, particularly if your reason is that you just hired the lawyer and he needs time to analyze your case.

If you do nothing, then you will be found guilty in your absence, and it could result in a bench warrant for your arrest.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That pretty much answers my question. I think everything else will have to be determined by the lawyer I get. My concern is that monday is labor day and almost everything is closed and tuesday is my court date so I'm not sure I could get a lawyer until tuesday. Are the courts normally understanding about these types of situations?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.

I think that you'll be able to find a lawyer this weekend. It may take a dozen phone calls and messages left on voicemails, but out of the lawyers you call, there are bound to be one or two working on the weekend, and who are hungry for work. So, I would call plenty and see who answer and/or returns your calls. However, if you cannot find an attorney, and you can't appear at court in person, then I would at the least call the court and leave a message for the judge that you had to work, that you had been trying to find a lawyer to no avail, and that you request a continuance. The phone call is really a last resort, though, and may not work at all, so trying for the attorney is the best suggestion.

As for the court's understanding, it really just depends on the judge, and it is impossible to predict. Some judges may say that you've had plenty of time to find a lawyer, while other judges may continue the case without a thought.

In any event, I wish you luck, and please remember to rate me.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA