Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

Two brothers are in a three sided relationship with a woman

Two brothers are in a three sided relationship with a woman who has become pregnant. They all live together in California and the woman alternates who she sleeps with every other night.

The relationship is now unstable and may break up before the birth of the child.

If they are no longer living together and the new mother seeks public assistance in California will the state hold both men responsible for the support of the baby? Will the court require a paternity test and assign responsibility for support to the father? Are paternity tests able to clearly identify which brother is the father or does their close genetic relationship make the paternity test results unreliable?

Before any person can be held responsible for child support, the mother or father will have to file a paternity action to determine who is the biological father of the child. The court will then order a DNA test in order to determine whether the person is the father of the child. Is paternity is determined, then he would be responsible for support as well as having custody/visitation rights to the child.
And yes, each individual's DNA is different enough, even in siblings, so that one can be distinguished from the other with a DNA test performed on both of them and the child. Even identical twins, who share very similar genes, can be differentiated.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.