Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law

I got a citation served to me today by chase bank...a credit

I got a citation served to me today by chase bank...a credit card debt from 2007 for $835.00
What do I do now? I'm a single mom of two and have government assistants. I live in Texas.

1. Do you agree that the debt is legitimate?

2. When did you last make a payment?

3. What, if anything, can you pay?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it is my debt

i honestly cant remember when i last made a payment bc its been that long ago. the cc limit was $400.

20 a month

The time issue is important here. I say this as it appears that a lawsuit may be barred by the statute of limitations. The limitation period on this sort of issue is four years so, if your last payment was any time before August of 2008, you might consider filing a motion to dismiss.

Conversely, if the last payment was less than four years ago, then it appears that they have a viable lawsuit. In that case, you might consider contacting the attorney that is handling the matter for the credit card company and making an offer to resolve the case. You could offer whatever you desire, including the $20 per month. While you might think that this amount is too low, they will often accept even low amounts simply to resolve the case. As you are suggesting that you have no defense, it is certainly worth the effort.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on a positive rating for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to provide a positive rating. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.