Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I got married four years ago, but my marriage certificate was

I got married four years ago, but my marriage certificate was never submitted by the church official; at least I never got it back. Now, I need to know if I am legally married as I have separated from my spouse. How can I find out if I am married and how can I obtain confirmation in writting? Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
If you were issued a marriage license, went through a ceremony, signed off on the marriage license then the fact that it wasn't filed doesn't mean you weren't married. The actual filing of the license is ministerial.

You would have to contact the clerk of courts in the county where you were married or where it was issued to see if they have it on file and they can give you a copy of it.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did sign, but the church official was supposed to send it wherever it supposed to be sent for submission, and he never did.

What if the clerk of court can not locate the record, does that mean I am not married?

Should I file for divorce regardless if there is a record of me being married or not?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
No, you are still married and should file for divorce, assuming you want one, whether they can find a copy or not.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.