How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37702
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

During the lawsuit and under document production, Konica-Minolta

This answer was rated:

During the lawsuit and under document production, Konica-Minolta produced a personal document which I sent to one of my friends and it has nothing to do with the business between my company and Konica-Minolta. It was an email which was not directed to Konica-Minolta either directly or through the CC: or BCC:

This document alone is a snap shot which must had produced by mistake and more could be thought of in the possession of Konica-Minolta. The reason for this statement is that my house had been burglarized before the dispute started with Konica-Minolta and a police report was filed on the spot at 3:30 am in the very early morning of the Mar 20, 2004.

My question is this: I asked my Attorneys to focus on this as a suspected criminal activity that needs to be investigated. They refused to do and claimed that this document (which carries a bate number by Konica-Minolta) is one simple incident and it is most likely circumstantial. Now: Can classify their refusal to do what I asked them to do?

Please advise me Nate.

Thank you


Different contributor here. Please permit me to assist.

California law provides that the attorney is entitled to control the procedural/tactical aspects of a case, and the client is entitled to direct the substantive/strategic aspects. Code Civ. Proc. 283(1); See Blanton v. Womancare, Inc. (1985) 38 C3d 396, 404. An attorney cannot enter into any binding settlement agreement without the client's written consent, and in fact, the client must sign any substantive settlement. See Marriage of Helsel (1988) 198 CA3d 332, 339. However, the attorney can sign any pleading, and stipulate to the admissibility or inadmissibility of evidence.

A criminal matter can only be prosecuted by the county district attorney where the alleged crime occurred. Investigation of your burglary, if it were to show that your legal opponent was involved, could certainly change the outcome of your civil action. However, it may be that your attorneys believe that the investigation would be far too costly and unlikely to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence -- so, the attorney can decline to investigate on that basis -- and not be liable for malpractice.

You can demand that the attorney investigates, as long as you're prepared to pay for the investigation. But, if not, then the attorney is within his authority to refuse, and your only recourse would be to terminate the attorney's services and hire someone new to take over the case.

Please understand that I have no interest in providing you with anything less than a completely satisfying answer. However, if the law does not favor your unique circumstances, then the best that I can do is to explain what the law "is" and what it "is not." Also, as a member in good standing of the State Bar of California, I believe I am in a better position to discuss the law of the jurisdiction in which your case arises, than are other contributors here who are licensed elsewhere in the USA (as they would be in a better position to discuss the law of their jurisdiction of licensure).

Let me know if I can clarify or assist you further.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37702
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions