rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

I want to sell my car by owner. What should I do next after

I want to sell my car by owner. What should I do next after I find a buyer and agree to the price. What and when should I sign, what to write in the title, in which moment should I receive money. What else I should sign or fill out, what and if at all something I should report. About what I should be aware.

How everything happens if buyer uses bank credit.
Thank you.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

as I waited for the answer and could't get it, I started to look somewhere else on google. justanswer was my first stop as I am subscriber. but I gues not allways we can get answers here :(

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Hi and welcome,

1. After you find a buyer, write an agreement signed by both stating that on a certain date and time and place, the buyer will give you a bank check in the amount of $X. At that time, you will give him the original title endorsed by you so that he can register title in his name.

2 The Basics of Bill of Sale
If the original Certificate of Title exists, it is used instead of a bill of sale in Illinois when a vehicle is bought or sold. The owner of the vehicle (the seller) signs off on the back of the old title, and this serves as proof of the sale. The filled-out title should include full names and addresses, as well as all pertinent vehicle identification information.
Bill of Sale Specifics
If a bill of sale is requested, there is no official form for this in Illinois. You may create your own. In general, a bill of sale should include the following:
o Name, current address, and phone number of the owner (seller).
o Name, current address, and phone number of any co-owner.
o Name, current address, and phone number of the buyer.
o Statement that the vehicle is being sold, signed by all owners.
o Sale price of the vehicle.
o Detailed physical description of the car, including the vehicle identification number (VIN), odometer reading, and the license plate number―especially if the plates are staying with the car.
o Statement by the sellers that there is no lien or other encumbrance on the title of the car.
This unofficial bill of sale will not replace the Certificate of Title transfer process; it is for personal use only.

Also, this is not legal advice. Please refer to the JUST ANSWER disclaimer and rule on this site. It is applicable even though I am a New York attorney and your question may relate to a NY matter. You have to consult with an attorney in your state and discuss this matter with him or her.

To find an attorney, go online to This is a nationwide directory we lawyers use ourselves to find highly qualified legal specialists in various fields of law. These lawyers are NOT in Martindale because they paid to be included. They are there because they are rated as QUALIFIED by other lawyers in their field of expertise and geographic area as it applies to your kind of case. The process is this: other lawyers are asked to fill out questionnaires giving their opinion of the quality of the work of the law firm that ultimately appears in Martindale.

The site is organized geographically and by legal specialty. Consult with two or three and select the one you are most comfortable with. The Martindale listing will have the names of current or past clients. Contact those clients as references for the firm.

Please press 3 or 4 or 5 below so that I may get credit for assisting you.
Please do NOT press 1 or 2 since that will result in a negative rating for me which
you may not have intended If you want further information or clarification, just ask before you accept my answer and give a rating. I'm always ready to help further.

rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.