TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have a business incorporated in the state of NY, an LLC,

I have a business incorporated in the state of NY, an LLC, I want to change the doing business name and want to open up a checking account in the state of california. How do I do these?

Thank you for your question.

In order to change the name of your business for an LLC registered in New York, you must file the following form with NY Secretary of State:

In order to open a checking account in California for a foreign LLC, the bank may have specific requirements that require registering with the State of California. If you plan on doing business in California, you will definitely need to register with California using the following form:

You would then take all this documentation to the bank in which you want to open the account to support the LLC's identity with the bank.

Please let me know if you need more information or wish to discuss this matter further.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, if I need to register in CA should I just use the new name in CA instead of changing in NY? BTW, it is a online business that sells across the country, this is merely so I can deposit checks.

You could also do that. You could start a California LLC which is wholly owned by the NY company. This might save you some money in the transaction costs.

However, you've got to remember that collecting money in California and registering any entity (either new or the NY as a foreign corporation) will subject you to taxes in California.