How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A small quick mart type store sold beer to a minor, the minor

Resolved Question:

A small quick mart type store sold beer to a minor, the minor confessed that he bought beer there quite often with out a problem.. The minor got drunk had an accident and caused another man to die..
The Quick mart type store was named in the law suit and served the appropriate papers, they never responded..
Shortly there after they changed their name, although still owned by the same family. They've been served several times since, and have not responded.
The judge made a judgement in favor of the family of the deceased to be paid by the store. Still no response.
Is it legal to change your name during a lawsuit, and is it possible they can get away with the judgement against them..
Is there a law that would protect the family of the deceased in this case of obvious avoidance.?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Was the Quick Mart store an corporation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it's incorporated..

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

A corporation which during litigation, or in anticipation of litigation, transfers all of its assets in a deliberate attempt to avoid payment of a liability under that litigation may be restrained from doing so, or may have the transfer cancelled under the New York Fraudulent Conveyances Act, 2006 New York Code Art. 10, Section 270 et seq.

In other words, the deceased's family (plaintiffs) will need to request that the court either enjoin the Quick Mart from completing the transfer of assets or to cancel the transfer of assets and to maintain the status quo until the end of the lawsuit so that if the Quick Mart is found liable, it will be able to satisfy the judgment from its assets.

Please let me know if you need more information or would like to discuss this matter further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They already did change the name, approx 2 years ago.. It can't be canceled, they found out about the name change after the fact. The judgment in favor of the family was made in just the past 6 weeks or so..


Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your response.

It's not a matter of the "name change". The thing that matters is whether the corporation is able to pay the judgment. If it cannot pay the judgment because it transferred its assets in anticipation of the liability on the lawsuit, then the transaction may be cancelled.

If the transfer of assets occurred prior to the lawsuit being filed without any intent to defraud the plaintiffs, then the quick mart is safe for now since it did not answer the lawsuit. The plaintiff would be required to either prove a fraudulent intent under the statute to be able to enforce the judgment against the quick mart, or would need to refile the lawsuit against the current incorporation. There may be a statute of limitations problem in refiling the lawsuit, and the plaintiff may be in a situation where it waived its right to recover against the quick mart by failing to sue it in its proper name if the plaintiff cannot establish a fraudulent transfer under the act.

If the plaintiffs have attempted to satisfy the judgment on the corporation and they claim there are no assets left, then the plaintiffs can go back to the court and request that the transfer be cancelled. This would be in the form of a new lawsuit since the trial court has probably already lost original jurisdiction.

The statute of limitations on this kind of fraudulent conveyance is 6 years from the date of the conveyance, so its probably not too late.

You say it was a "name change." Is it the same corporation which simply changed names, or did the owners dissolve the prior corporation and then open up a new corporation with a different name.

If it is the same corporation and they simply changed the name, then they are still liable on the judgment.

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions