TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have a rental contract with a tenant who is 14 days late.

I have a rental contract with a tenant who is 14 days late. She lives in tn. Pls can you tell me if this is correct, I am to send her a eviction notice she has 14 days to comply if she does not is this the time I go to the court house to have a court order sent or do I need to wait 30 days? If so how long will it take to for them to have her served? Can it be delivered by someone other than an officer? She will be hard to track down. I have the impression she is going to milk me for all she can. Pls help and thx you!

In Tennessee, the length of the eviction notice depends on what county the rental property is in.

Please let me know what county you are in and I will be able to provide your answer.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bradley county (cleveland tn), pls if you were in my place tell me what you would do. Other info i can give she has animals the contract pacifically says no pet. I dont just want her to move out I want her to be responsible for what she owes

thx you

Thanks for the response. I understand. Eviction is not always the solution to the problem, especially when what you are really faced with is loss of a revenue stream and the possibility of not being able to enforce a judgment against the defaulting tenant.

That being said, Bradley County falls under Tenessee's Uniform Landlord and Tenant Act. If the landlord is in one of the counties covered by the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act, then eviction takes a little more time. In those counties, to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent or for breaching the lease, the landlord should serve the tenant with a 30 Day Notice. This 30 day notice will state that the tenant must fix the problem within 14 days, or else the lease will terminate at the end of the 30 days.

At the end of the 30 days, then you file your eviction suit if she is still not out of the house. The sheriff will take care of serving the notice of eviction for you. All you have to do is go to the clerk's office at the General Session's Court and ask for a Detainer Warrant. You will need to pay the fee at that point. Then be prepared to to go the eviction hearing and present evidence that rent is due and that the tenant is breaching the lease by keeping an unauthorized pet. You need to request accellerated rent, i.e., the rest of the rent due under the remainder of the lease term.

Beyond working with the tenant to get them to give you the rent due, this is really your only option. If you know the tenant is trying to skip out on her obligations to you, then get her out of there ASAP so you can rent it to someone who can pay.

Please let me know if you want to talk more about this.

Best of luck,