Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

federal law reguarding unemployment compensation

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Are you looking for where you can find the federal unemployment compensation law?

Is there a specific issue that you need to have the law regarding?

-ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was disqualified from receiving unemployment compensation in Az because they have a new law in effect that requires you to have earned 390 times the minimum wage amount for Az... which is 7.50 per quarter...... I don't see how any start can require you to have earned more than their minimum wage amount. So I wanted to know if this is legal for them to do.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Unemployment compensation and eligibility is not governed by federal law. Federal law simply provides funds for unemployment compensation. The actual unemployment rights are dictated by State law. In Arizona to qualify for benefits, you must have worked for an employer who paid unemployment tax and you must have earned (the following criteria applies to new UI claims that were made effective August 5, 2012 or later):

At least 390 times the Arizona minimum wage in your highest earning quarter and the total of the other three quarters must equal at least one half of the amount in your high quarter. (For example, if you made $5000 in your highest quarter you need to have earned a total of $2500 within the remaining three quarters combined,) or
At least $7000 in total wages in at least two quarters of the base period, with wages in one quarter equal to $5987.50 or more.

The following criteria applies to new UI claims that were made effective prior to August 5, 2012:
At least $1,500 in one of the four quarters of the base period and your total base period wages must be at least 1-1/2 times your high quarter, or
At least $7,000 in total wages in at least two quarters of the base period, with wages in one quarter equal to $5,987.50 or more.

So, as you see, the state law requirements are legal and do limit your eligibility. All states have these type of limitations on eligibility. If you feel that the determination that you have not made the amount of money needed to cross the threshold to entitle you to unemployment, then you should appeal the unemployment decision.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this matter further.
-ZDN

Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs