TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I have performed a VIN search on Under Current

I have performed a VIN search on Under Current title information the report lists the State (GA) and under Current Title Information it has an Issue date of 2012. Under the Historical Title Information, it has an Issue date of 2009 and 2006. What does Issue date mean?

Thank you for your question.

An issue date in connection with a car title is the date on which a state agency has issued a title in connection with the car. In this case, it means that there have been three different titles issued. That may either mean that the car has been sold three different times and has had the title changed to the new owners name, or it could mean that the owner lost the title and simply needed it reissued.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. How can I find out which situation it is? That is, how can I find out if the title changed to the new owners name or if the owner lost the title and simply needed it reissued?

Per CarFax, the registration was "reissued or renewed" twice in 2012 once at the beginning of the year and again in May.

You can contact Georgia Department of Revenue at:

You should request this information from them. There may be a service fee involved with such a search.

If they do not want to give you the information over the phone, send a written request to the Georgia Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Titles Section Public Information Officer requesting all title information (past and current) related to the VIN of the vehicle pursuant to the Georgia Open Records Act.

This might take time, but it is the only way to legally obtain the information if they won't provide it to you through a telephone request or have some sort of form you can send to them. If you are not the owner of the vehicle already, and are simply a potential buyer, you may not be entitled to the information without making an Open Records Request.