TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Do I need a lawyer when I appear in court for driving under

Do I need a lawyer when I appear in court for driving under a suspended license? In Hamilton county Ohio.

Thank you for your question.

You have the right to represent yourself in a traffic law violation for driving without a license or while your license is suspended. However, there is an old adage amongst attorneys that goes "the person who represents himself has a fool for a client." In other words, its usually a bad idea.

The other thing to be considered is that the fact that your license is suspended is related to a pre-existing matter. For example, if your license was suspended for a DWI and you received probation, a suspended sentence, or a deferred adjudication, this could result in a violation of the terms of that arrangement and could land you in jail.

To avoid all of that and to have a much higher likelihood of a favorable outcome, you need to get an attorney to represent you in the case.

Please let me know if you need further information or would like to discuss this matter more.