TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Is it okay for me to answer a court summons on my own?

Are you saying that were have received a summons for you to appear in court as a witness or that you have been sued for the credit card debt?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well to e accurate my girlfriend in California is being sued by Zwicker and Assoc on behalf of discover card. for roughly $3500. I drafted a response to the claims but not sure if I did the right thing and needed a prefessional editorial.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We did received a summons to appear but it doesn't state our day in court? Maybe we get a date after we respond?

You need to file what's called an Answer.

The answer needs to look like:

You need everything on the first page, then you need just one affirmative defense, to read as follows:

Defendant alleges as an affirmative defense that the statute of limitations bars the assertion of Plaintiff's claim.

Wherefore, premises considered, Defendant _______ (her name) asks that the Plaintiff be required to prove their case at a trial of this matter and that after the trial of this matter the Plaintiff's claim be dismissed with prejudice.

Respectfully submitted,

____________ (her name)
Pro Se
Phone number

You take this document and you have to file it in the court where she was sued. You also have to send a copy of the answer and send it to Zwicker.

Please let me know if you need further information.

I do this for a living. In order for me to get credit for my work, I need you to rate my answer positively.

On the other hand, if you rate my answer negatively, the website keeps your money and does not pay me. So before you do that, let me know if there is something else I can do for you to change your mind or further help you.