TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I am seeking financial compensation from a major bank (due

I am seeking financial compensation from a major bank (due to fraud) -
How do I go about finding a lawyer on a contingency basis?

Thank you for your question.

Finding a lawyer to take a case on a contingency basis in a financial case such as this can be very difficult. Lawyers generally reserve contingency fees for cases involving personal injuries. A fraud claim is generally one where the lawyer will require an retainer fee.

That being said, it may still be possible to find a lawyer, but it will take some work on your part. The biggest issue is that you will have to show the lawyer a damage model that is solid. You will also have to be able to demonstrate that you have a very good case. A fraud claim is not an easy case to make, as it requires proof of intent.Also, you need to understand that unless your claim is worth a lot, a lawyer will not be interested in taking it on contingency. For example, if your fraud claim is only worth $5,000. You won't be able to find a lawyer to file the suit in return for $2,000 as a fraud claim is complex and often requires hiring expert witness in forensic accounting...which alone can cost up to $5,000.00. On the other hand, if you were defrauded of $100,000.00, you will have a better chance of interesting a lawyer to take your claim.

The first step is to set up appointments with several different attorneys and go meet with them to request that they take your case on contingency. You need to be able to explain why you think the bank defrauded you, as opposed to simply making a banking error. You need to have all the documentation supporting your claim with you. Finally, you will need to be able to show that the claim has a high dollar value in your documentation. Stay away from the bigger law firms and look at solo practitioners and "trial attorneys". These are the types of attorneys that are more likely to take an interest in your case.

Please let me know if you need further information or if I did not answer your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You gave me a most wonderful and complete answer. One that will actually help guide me to the next step.

Thank You

I saw your message on the list today. Just reply to this to follow up with me so I can continue helping you.