Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

What does "Demographic Infraction" mean in North Carolina?

Customer Question

Expert:  David L replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you. What is the context of your question? Did this appear as part of a background check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  David L replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for the follow up reply. A demographic infraction referenced within a background check most likely is referring to some minor crime you were charged with at the address listed. An infraction can be a traffic ticket, but would not usually be anything more serious, such as a misdemeanor or felony conviction. Demographic infraction is an infraction which occurred in some local demographic area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Obviously a"Demographic infraction is an infraction which occurred in some local demographic area". I don't need a lawyer to tell me this. It is listed as "criminal". Is the term "Demographic Infration" code for traffic violation in NC? And, why criminal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to provide a more specific explanation?
Expert:  David L replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to look into your follow up question. Thank you.
Expert:  David L replied 1 year ago.
The infraction can be a number of things, as I first mentioned above. Since there is no way for me to know what the specific infraction was without seeing the actual record, I will opt out. Perhaps another expert can assist you further.

Thanks for your question and good luck. There is no need to respond. It will delay another expert picking up this question for you. Have a great day!
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
A demographic infraction is neither a felony or a misdemeanor, it is generally a municipal ordinance violation. The use of the term "demographic" just means it was a municipal or county code or ordinance offense and not something that was under the state laws. Thus, you would have to look up the municipal ordinance to find out exactly what the charge was for and you would need to go back to the municipality where the infraction took place to find that information out if it is not listed on your background report, which most reports do not list the exact violation code.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law