TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Wife is a student at Le Cordon Bleu...she is in her last week

Wife is a student at Le Cordon Bleu...she is in her last week and someone in the class of 30 has taken a few cooking utensils that belong to the teacher (Chef). The chef is stating that unless they are returned she will mark everyone down 25 % on the final. My wife is an A student and this would drop her GPA and possibly effect future earnings.
Is this legal?

Thank you for your question. Because Le Cordon Bleu is a private institution, California State Laws that might prohibit acts like this do not apply.

That being said, this type of action by the instructor would be a violation of your wife's contract with Le Cordon Bleu. Technically, if the Chef marked everyone's grade down based on a non-grading event, this would be cause for you to sue for breach of contract.

That being the case, your wife needs to contact the school administration and lodge a complaint about this unfair grading practice threatened by the instructor. You should do this in a formal manner with a letter, and state that if such unfair grading practice is done by the instructor you will file suit for breach of contract.

Please let me know if you need further information or need further clarification. If you feel that you want to know more, please let me know before you rate my answer.

Best Regards,
ZDN