Griffin Law Firm
Griffin Law Firm, Attorney
Experience:  I am an attorney licensed in both CA and WA
19174230

What are the statutes of limitations on a bad check issued

What are the statutes of limitations on a bad check issued in 2006 in Ca. for about 600.00 that I was recently contacted about in 2012 in the state of Pennsylvania that I now live in. Also I do not believe the check is from me but was issued about the time I was in Ca. Also the person contacting me had alot of my personal info but none that was not public record.
Expert:  Griffin Law Firm replied 2 years ago.

Griffin Law Firm :

Just a moment--looking something up related to your question...

Customer:

I'm here

Griffin Law Firm :

The statute of limitations on a check in California is 3 years.

Griffin Law Firm :

This means that they would no longer be able to sue you in court for the amount, but they can still contact you and request payment.

Customer:

They are coming after me in Pa. for it and the collection co. is in Canada.

Griffin Law Firm :

Oh, I thought CA was referring to California... let me see if I have any resources on that. What province was it in?

Customer:

The issue of the check was in Ca. I now live in Pa.

Griffin Law Firm :

Okay, you are telling me the collection company is in Canada and you now live in Pennsylvania. Was the check issued in Canada, or California?

Customer:

California around 2006 according to them.

Customer:

are you still with me?

Griffin Law Firm :

Ok, well the statute of limitations has definitely run. They can not sue you, so they have no power to enforce the debt. You are correct in what you have done so far and you should continue to dispute the validity of the debt. Ask for proof, including a copy of the check. They will likely go away. If they continue to harass you, they may be in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and you should consult a local attorney who handles those types of suits.

Griffin Law Firm :

Attorneys that sue creditors and collectors under FDCPA typically will consult initially with you for free to evaluate if you have a good claim. The FDCPA requires the creditor to pay for your attorney fees if you win.

Customer:

Thanks I did say to them they had 10 days to respond or I will consider the matter concluded.

Customer:

Also that explains why they placed it with a agent in Canada.

Griffin Law Firm :

My bet would be that is probably the end of it, but I am a bankruptcy attorney who represents debtors and you would not believe how dumb some of these creditors and collection agencies are.

Customer:

What is the Pa. Statute # XXXXX I can reference it in the future?

Griffin Law Firm :

The Canadian company likely bought it in a large group of bad debt. The debts get resold for lower and lower. Yours was probably bought for pennies on the dollar because the statute has run and they thought they'd take a stab at getting some money out of you...hang on, i'll check PA...

Griffin Law Firm :

For an amount that low, it is 2 years

Customer:

Thanks do you have the Statute #?, Also I have a question on employee in a hostile work environment and and assult of that employee with no witnesses.

Griffin Law Firm :

Let me look it up again--I closed the window without grabbing the statute #...

Customer:

Are you up for the other question or should i get back to you?

Griffin Law Firm : 42 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5524

Griffin Law Firm :

Your other question is in an area of law that I don't practice in, so it might be best to create a second post and see if an employment law attorney responds

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Just tell them to go away or threaten them with action?

Griffin Law Firm :

I would tell them to go away and then step it up if they don't back off

Customer:

Have a great night do I have to do anything more for you to grt paid?

Griffin Law Firm :

Yes, they have changed the format since the last time I was on here, but I believe there is somewhere for you to click if you accepted my answer.

Griffin Law Firm :

Thanks and have a great night as well

Griffin Law Firm, Attorney
Experience: I am an attorney licensed in both CA and WA