SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

I have 3 siblings living in the USA (myself as well) and we

I have 3 siblings living in the USA (myself as well) and we need to get a POA allowing me to cremate my father's remains which are in Argentina. We are originally from Argentina, but our parents died and are buried in Argentina. I will be traveling to Argentina and need a POA from each of my siblings allowing the cremation.

Please advise as to what type of POA is required.

Thank you.
Adriana

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

Customer:

Hello - thank you. My name is Adriana.

Customer:

Do you need additional information?

SoloLawyer :

Adriana - who told you that you needed a POA? Someone in Argentina? Is there a document that must be signed there?

SoloLawyer :

When I say "document" I mean is the crematorium asking for permission from each sibling?

Customer:

I'm researching this for my aunt. It is actually my grandfather's remains that will be cremated. His remains are in Argentina. The entire family lives in the States. However, when in Argentina my aunt was told she needed a signed POA from each sibling allowing for the cremation of the remains once in Argentina.

SoloLawyer :

Okay. A POA doesn't give authorization for a certain act to take place. That would be a contract or an affidavit. A Limited POA would allow whoever is making the decision power to make the decision on the other siblings behalf. If that is what you need, a POA will be affective. If you need them to actually sign something themselves that say they agree with the remains being cremated (and not just giving their authorization for someone else to make the choice), then you'll need a signed/notarized affidavit.

SoloLawyer :

Honestly, I would get an affidavit from each of them stating they agree with the cremation being done. Have them notarized. Then, have an attorney draft a limited POA from them to whoever if making the decision, giving them the authorization to make decisions on the non-present party's behalf.

Customer:

sounds good and it makes sense. Thank you.

SoloLawyer :

Great!

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:

np. You'll get a high rating from me.

Customer:

Thank you Michael.