Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 28 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I was recently dismissed from physician assistant school 3

I was recently dismissed from physician assistant school 3 1/2 weeks before graduation for academic dishonestly surrounding time missed during my wife's miscarriage. The main issue is I signed forms saying I was present in the clinic on days I was not in order to avoid having to explain to the entire faculty the details of my personal business. I was an honor student with a 3.65 GPA and job offers already lined up. Now my wife and I are looking at over 100,000 dollars in debt and no foreseeable employment. I know it was wrong for me to lie, but do I have any recourse at all? Help!
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about your wife and your dismissal from your PA program. The unfortunate fact though is that unless you have more rights under a contract or school policy, you could be dismissed for academic dishonesty. Although I can understand that you were likely under stress and distracted, you had protections under the law if you had only used the system and advised your Faculty Advisor or Administrative Officer (whoever handles absences and ADA related issues) about the circumstances of your need to take some time off. In other words, there would not have been a need to tell everyone why you were taking off, but someone should have been notified that was in a position to grant you time off.

In any event, unless there is something in your agreement or school policies that gives you more protection, your Program could disenroll you.

I am so sorry that the news is not better. If you need any clarification of what I have said. Please feel free to ask, that is what we are here for.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Kindly rate me based solely on my assistance to you in understanding the law, and not based on whether my answer is what you were hoping to hear. I, unfortunately, have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust that you can understand how it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law. Please reply to me and let me know if you are having difficulty with the rating system or even seeing it. Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Atty, 28 yrs exp in the practice of law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. My family and friends want me to fight this, but again I understand the bottom line is I was not truthful on my paperwork. I did contact my advisor at the program when it first happened, but her only response was "I'm sorry that happened...how will you make up the time?" She did not explain to me that I had a right to take time off without punishment. I don't know if that changes anything. I just want to be able to say I tried everything before moving on. Thanks!
Hello again,

If the program had a rule that there must be a certain number of days of clinical practice (or whatever you were doing) then they could have you make up the time. It sounds as though you have appealed to the school already. So, your only option would be to sit down with a local attorney who can review your school's policies and any agreements you signed and see if you have any basis for a suit for reinstatement. It might be worth your time and money to have that consultation.