Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

By mistake, my company used exemption for me from SS and medicare

Customer Question

By mistake, my company used exemption for me from SS and medicare tax for the last 4 years. Who is responsible for not paid taxes? What's the best way to handle it?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If the company was negligent or made an error by improperly classifying you, they are liable to pay their employer contribution to make up for the contributions they should have made had you been properly classified, but I am afraid that you too would have to make your employee contribution as normal as that employee contribution is your responsibility and the employer's error in not properly classifying you does not change your responsibility it merely means the employer has to pay back their percentage.

Ultimately, when an employer does not properly withhold or deduct taxes, by law that is the employee's liability for whatever share should have been deducted from the employee normally and the employer is only liable for failure to pay taxes that are the employer's responsibility (such as unemployment taxes, their SS percentage, workers compensation etc).

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answer is too generic.
I have no funds to repay such great amount. It was not my fault that company mistakenly placed me in the position when I own so much to IRS. All my tax returns were OK. My returns were reviewed by banks for mortgages. My financial life is tuned to what I was making in the last 4 years. Now my compensation is significantly lower and, additionally, I have to repay a huge amount of money.
I apologize that it is generic, but realize also that your question was also generic and does not have the actual facts and evidence any attorney would need to give an in depth point by point answer, nor is that the actual scope of this service.

When a company makes a mistake and does not withhold enough taxes, that liability is still on the employee tax payer, if not, the equitable principle of unjust enrichment applies. This legal principle states that when you are damaged you have a right to be put only back to the same place as you would have been in had they made the proper deductions. Had they made the proper deductions, you would have paid a percentage and they would pay a percentage for SS and their mistake would not mean you would get them to now pay your percentage as it would put you in a BETTER position than had they not made the error. If you are charged any interest or penalties for them making the mistake, then the EMPLOYER is liable for those penalties or that interest, since you would not have had to pay that if they properly deducted the taxes as they were supposed to.

If you are being assessed penalties or interest, then you can sue the employer for those. You just cannot sue the employer to make them put you in a better position than you would have been in had they deducted those taxes from your pay as they should have.