Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My car was left in the median after someone else driving it

My car was left in the median after someone else driving it hit the cement block and left it over night. The police towed and impounded it and not charged me but will not give me the car back even though I am willing to pay the fees. It has been since 6/12/12. Help

I am in Midland Michigan
I am sorry to hear what has happened, the leaving of a wrecked vehicle and failure to report an accident is grounds for them to impound the car. Right now the car is evidence, which is why your attorney cannot find laws to get the car released. It is evidence in a hit and run (even if no other car was hit) and failure to report an accident investigation. The city attorney likely will not release it because you have not told them who was driving your vehicle and as such their criminal investigation is still open and as long as an investigation is open, they have a right to maintain the custody of evidence in that investigation.

MI has quite a long statute of limitations for the city attorney to file charges in a misdemeanor offense, they have 6 years. While you may be willing to pay the fees, if you do not disclose who was driving they can continue their criminal investigation leaving you as a suspect based on your ownership of the car and you know they have no evidence you were driving the car because they would have charged you already. However, this is how the criminal case game works.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”